Sunday, March 31, 2013

My Interview With Darryl W. Perry, First Announced Candidate for 2016 LP Presidential Nomination

This article was originally published on March 31, 2013 on IPR. 

Darryl W. Perry is a writer whose articles are published in several publications, including the monthly newspaper The Sovereign.  He is a co-host on a radio show on Liberty Radio Network. He is the owner and managing editor of Free Press Publications (FPP.cc). Perry is a co-founder and co-chairman of the New Hampshire Liberty Party, a party created in September 2012 to promote secession of the state from the federal government and individual liberty. From 2010 to July 2012, he served as the chairman of a small libertarian political party, the Boston Tea Party. He has announced that he is running for president in 2016 seeking the Libertarian Party line (http://dwp2016.org/).

  • Krzysztof Lesiak






    Ok before we begin talking about your presidential run, could you give some background about yourself?

     






  • Darryl W. Perry






    I am an author, activist, radio host, and small business owner. I’ve won several awards & recognitions for my writing and editing.
    I first joined the LP in 1999, and have been a life member since 2008. I’ve spent most of my adult life as an advocate & activist for peace and liberty.










  • Krzysztof Lesiak






    Ok. Now I know that besides the LP, you’ve been associated with other political parties. Namely, I believe you were one of the founders of the Boston Tea Party, which I believe existed from 2006 to July 2012. What was the general purpose of the party, and why do you think it disbanded? Also, I think you are one of the founders and co-chairmen of the New Hampshire Liberty Party, which promotes individual liberty and NH secession from the US. Could you also briefly talk about that party?



















  • I was involved with the BTP from early on, though I was not a founder of that party. The party was the brainchild of Tom Knapp, who formed the party for a variety of reasons. He said at one time that he wanted to see if the “incrementalists” in the LP would join a party with such a “broad” platform. I believe he also stated one time that he wanted a party for people to go if the LP ever stopped being radically libertarian.
    I believe the party served a purpose in letting the “reformers” in the LP know that not everyone was happy with the changes they wanted to make to the platform and also as a protest party during the 2008 election. The party dissolved because of the lack of activity. During the last National Convention, NOTA won 2 positions on the National Committee, and not long after the convention 2 At-Large reps resigned. The Presidential nominee had a stand-still campaign, despite offers to pay 10% of the ballot access fee to get on the Louisiana & Colorado ballots (a total expense of $1,000).
    At the time I resigned, there were approximately 5 people that could be said to have been “active” in party discussion. The national convention only had 20 or so people “attend” the online convention. The party was dead long before I resigned as chair in July of last year.

    The NH Liberty Party was formed as a secessionist party in New Hampshire, something the state lacked. In the 6 months or so since it was founded, the party has received favorable press from news outlets across the state. The 3 co-chairs of the party were also candidates for the Keene School Board, and the party was mentioned pretty much any time we were mentioned in print or on radio.
    Myself & Ian Freeman (another co-chair) have made several trips to Concord to lobby legislators on various bills, and I believe I have made some headway with a few State Rep’s on possibly getting a ballot access reform bill introduced next session.












  • Krzysztof Lesiak






    Ok. Now I’m assuming that you didn’t vote for Bob Barr in 2008. He has since rejoined the GOP and endorsed Gingrich in 2011. However, on your campaign website, you say that you didn’t support Gary Johnson in 2012 or vote for him. So, who did you support in the LP nomination battle, and in the general election, if you are comfortable telling us, who did you support?










  • Darryl W. Perry






    I supported Lee Wrights in the LP race, and seconded his nomination to be the official nominee of the LPNH.
    In 2008, I cast a write-in vote for Charles Jay, the BTP nominee.
    In 2012, I cast a write-in vote for NOTA












  • Krzysztof Lesiak






    Ok. Now on to your presidential race. The way I see it, there are to big factions in the LP, the Radical caucus, and the Reform caucus. I assume you are more aligned with the radicals. If you are ,why, and do you think you will be able to generate significant support from them in 2016? Also, do you think you will try to reach out to more moderate LPers that might have supported Johnson, and if so, how?










  • Darryl W. Perry






    I guess you could say I’m “aligned with the radicals” if by that you mean I believe the LP should stand firm to libertarian principles. I acknowledge that at times we must compromise in order to get legislation heading in our direction, though I refuse to take the incrementalist position as my position (ex. “Fair Tax,” tax & regulate weed, etc).
    As far as caucuses that I actually belong to: I’m a member of Libertarians for Peace, Grassroots Libertarians, LP Sunshine Caucus, LP Anarchists (which seems to be inactive) & The Rent is Too Damn High Caucus (a single issue caucus to get the LPHQ out of the Watergate).
    I’m not going to change my principles to reach out to the “moderates” or the “reformers” in the LP, I intend to run the most radical, principled libertarian campaign in history.










  • Krzysztof Lesiak






    Brief question, could you see yourself supporting Libertarians for Life? I am personally pro-life and from your website I think you are too, even if you said you don’t believe in explicitly banning abortion.










  • Darryl W. Perry






    I believe that all human life is valuable, from the unborn child to the elderly. It is one reason that I am strongly anti-war and pro-peace. That said, I do not advocate making abortion illegal because I believe education is a much more effective means of reducing the number of innocent lives lost.
    By education; I mean privately funded sex-ed, and education about the option of giving the baby up for adoption. I do not advocate a government solution to the issue.












  • Krzysztof Lesiak






    Ok. Now to segway into your platform, what are, say, the top 3 issues/platform planks your campaign is advocating?










  • Darryl W. Perry






    In 2 words: Peace & Liberty
    Peace: I believe the United States of America should immediately end ALL wars. This includes the military campaigns around the world, militarization of local police, as well as the war on drugs, war on poverty & war on privacy/civil liberties.
    Liberty: Everyone has the right to do with their body and their possessions as they wish, as long as they do not unjustly harm another person. And further, all individuals have the god-given right to life, liberty & pursuit of happiness, whenever governments become destructive of these rights, the people have the right to alter or abolish it. The federal government has been destroying rights since 1791, therefore I believe that the federal government should be abolished!










  • Krzysztof Lesiak






    Ok. Do you think the website LewRockwell.com, which you often link to on your site, FPP.cc, also might have a good slogan for you” anti state, anti war, pro market? Unless it’s copyrighted, lol. But anyway, what do you plan to do to build the LP with your campaign? Also, how do you plan on doing outreach to activists? And do you know any people who are going to work on your campaign, or do you have an inclination of potential endorsements you might get?










  • Darryl W. Perry






    I like the LRC slogan, though I prefer to say what I’m for that what I’m against.

    I intend to, at every opportunity, promote the ideals of liberty and the principles of libertarianism while promoting the LP as an alternative to the Republicratic Duopoly that currently controls the federal government.
    I can only speculate as to who will support my campaign. As far as reaching out to activists, I intend to use the reach of the various media outlets already at my disposal, and will use as much of my campaign contributions as possible towards media & outreach. (DWP later said, “I’m hoping to get the support of Ruwart & Wrights among others.” )












  • Krzysztof Lesiak






    Ok. As far I as I am concerned, you are the first announced LP candidate for 2016. Is it too early for you to think about a potential running mate? Also when do you think you might start aggressively campaigning? And if you’d like to, would you like to comment on potential 2016 LP presidential candidates? So far, I have hear d Gary Johnson mentioned frequently, but Judge Andrew Napolitano has popped up as well.










  • Darryl W. Perry






    I’ve heard people mention Johnson as a 2016 candidate, though after the 2012 election he sounded as though he were not going to run again.
    I like Judge Napolitano, though I don’t think he’d run – he seems to be the kind of guy who would support Rand Paul in the GOP (though that’s speculation).
    Several years ago I had the idea to attend the 2013 Boston Tea Party Annual Reenactment (it’s the 240th anniversary) and then march to Washington, DC. I doubt I’ll do the march to DC, but I believe a campaign event will be planned at the 240th anniversary of the Boston Tea Party. I also intend to attempt to gather support at some more local Libertarian (and libertarian) events this spring, summer & fall.
    As far as running mates, it’s too early to speculate though I’d like to have someone I know & trust be on the ticket with me.










  • Krzysztof Lesiak






    Ok. I’ve been researching some philophies lately, such as anarcho capitalism and voluntarism. Do you support those? Also, on your campaign website I see a link to the United States Pirate Party? Do you support them, and their general principles and goals?










  • Darryl W. Perry






    I do not like the term anarcho-capitalism, as it requires a definition of capitalism that most people do not use.
    However, I do generally support the ideas promoted by “an-caps.” I also like the idea of voluntaryism (I’ve seen it with & without the “y”), though most self-proclaimed voluntaryists refuse to engage in electoral politics.
    Regarding the Pirate Party, yes, I do support their principles, and if they decide to nominate a Presidential candidate, I intend to seek that nomination. I believe that current copyright laws are flawed and in serious need of reform. I, personally, release my content under a Creative Commons license, the newspaper I publish is released under a “copyheart” that says “Copying is an act of love. Love is not subject to law.”










  • Darryl W. Perry






    I know that seeking multiple nominations may not be popular with some in the LP, however, I believe that doing so is a way to build coalitions












  • Krzysztof Lesiak






    Alright, besides your website, dwp2016.org. are you on social media networks (ie Facebook page, Twitter, YouTube etc)?












  • Darryl W. Perry






    facebook.com/THEDarrylWPerry (personal)
    facebook.com/therealDarrylWPerry (fan page)
    youtube.com/DWPerry78

    at some point in the next few months, I will be moving the website to DarrylWPerry.com



















  • Anything, at all, that you’d like to add for the IPR audience?










  • Darryl W. Perry






    I can’t think of anything at the moment – I can always explain myself in the comment section of IPR










  • Krzysztof Lesiak






    Ok great. It was a fun interview. Thanks.







No comments:

Post a Comment